Tuesday 9 March 2010

2000 watt smile



Lesley, my dear sister

21/06/62 - 12/02/10


I've held off posting something so private, and painful in part because I worried someone looking in would be a friend I have yet to tell and in part because a blog posting seemed a trite way of communicating a personal sentiment. But, it's 2010. I have a blog because all along, I wanted to share thoughts, pictures, feelings to friends, family and a community of perhaps future friends - that's the power of the internet.


I also wasn't sure of my choice of picture - this was taken last Spring and clearly, the physical side effects of chemotherapy were already in train. There are perhaps, more flattering photos in our family album.


However, I keep returning, not only to this photo, which I love, for that wonderful smile and the memories that come back but also since my last, almost prophetic posting, I'm reminded that there was a time when I was grateful for the days on which she sounded good. None of us knew then just how little time was left.


I still have reasons to be cheerful and I have learned much about my sister in the days since her passing. And the most important lesson is one she inspired, and that is to keep smiling.
_________________________________

Smile though your heart is aching

Smile even though it's breaking

When there are clouds in the sky,

you'll get by

If you smile through your fear and sorrow

Smile and maybe tomorrow

You'll see the sun come shining through for you


Light up your face with gladness

Hide every trace of sadness

Although a tear may be ever so near

That's the time you must keep on trying

Smile, what's the use of crying?

You'll find that life is still worthwhile

If you just smile


That's the time you must keep on trying

Smile, what's the use of crying?

You'll find that life is still worthwhile

If you just smile
(Chaplin)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Smee, you were right it did make me cry but what a wonderful tribute to your sister. Smoo. xx

Patti~~~ said...

Thank you for sharing such a personal and painful matter with your readers. It is true, I believe, that even though most blog followers don't know the author, we do feel a sort of connection through the written word and an emapthy for the hurts and a celebration of the joys in that person's life.

I've been reading BettyWestern for a few months and I love it!

Blessings to you~~~

Patti

Anonymous said...

I'm looking at your blog :) Beautiful poem, just what i needed to hear. Love Tiff x p.s i'm nicking it! :p